Subject: [Leica] Comments on FOM2 judging: some details
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 09:51:59 +1000

G'day Andrew,

>I really think there has been a colosal mis-communication
>here.
>
>The original 8 Dec 2001 email I received from you clearly shows
>that only one of my submissions - the 360-deg VR - was accepted.

Andrew,

well this confuses me as well. I'll check the records, but maybe you
got the batched reply, not the one intended for those who had the
grouped selection. More will follow privately

>Okay - that deals with issue #1 I had with FOM2.
>Issue #2 still stands though.  The judging...
>
>>  I would welcome comments on how to choose the images fairly
>
>1.  Spell out clearly and unambiguously how the judging is
>     actually done.  Is it by popular online vote?  Are
>     there actual judges?  A mixture of the two?
>
>2.  If there are judges, name who they are.
>
>3.  Beneath each accepted image, either have links to the
>     judges' reasoning for why the image was chosen, or else
>     simply show how many votes the image got.

Judging is NOT easy. I tried to get Leica to provide some sort of
"professional". As you can imagine, I was not game to do it myself ie
alone. I asked everyone involved on the project to consider helping
with the selection. The decision to make an internal group judgement
was made at the start of the project. Everyone registered can submit
image, and can have a say in the yearly selections by judging in
November. About 30 "signed" up to judge. It was no easy matter.
Viewing images alone for 30 seconds meant that the selection took
over 6.5 hours without allowing for "internet" delays. Now take into
account that clearly most of the selections were made by viewing the
images many times, the task is pretty large. I sent everyone a
thumbnail package, so that they could view the images on the net, and
then review them on their own. From the comments I received, and the
overall variety of images chosen from different "locations", I was
happy that the judges had at least looked at all or most of the 775
images carefully.

I then asked them to choose a the best images. Right now I cannot
remember exactly, but I had done some mathematical analysis at the
time given the number of images and the number of judges. I think I
asked for at least 10 and up to 30 (I may be wrong, but the principle
is accurate) selections. This allowed some people, who felt there
were only 12 "worthy" images to select them, and not force lesser
selections, and allowed those who wanted to analyze more to delve
deeper.

The images chosen were to be the "best" images in the view of the
judge. I did give a summary of the aims and ideas of the project to
each judge and some overall guidelines, but left most of it to the
group themselves.

At one time I considered "comments", but to be honest, there is no
hope of me gathering, collating and publishing comments on each and
every image, or even of those chosen --- too much work to ask of
judges, and too much work here.

I did get some 'off the cuff' comments about certain images, and
these were passed on in private to the photographers.

I could publish a list of those who are judging -- but I'm NOT going
to publish each individual selection. The images are put up as
anonymous to avoid personal "attacks" and the selections of those
willing to do the hard work of selection will have to remain the same.

I was careful to ensure we had quite a number of the "professionals"
making selections, but to be honest, the end product was not too
different. I wanted every image to get at least one vote from every 3
judges, but in the end the variety meant that most of the images
received a vote from one in 4 judges. At that level, I took some
editorial control. I noted groups of similar images like yours were
attracting votes, but were "splitting" the judges. I decided that
these "group" images might get included iff the individual image had
votes, and the group themselves achieved a certain number of votes.
There were 3 separate selections. Then from the one in 4 images, we
had some left over. I removed images where the photographer already
had selections chosen, in favor of those where the photographer had
no other images selected. This allowed me to increase the number and
variety of photographers. I was intending to hold the good but just
missed images back, and put them into this years "pool", but to be
honest, I had a major computer mishap, and some of the judging
details which I had accumulated was lost -- well after the choice was
made. You know the problem. I thought it was backed up, but I'd
backed up last weeks version. Any way I rescued most of the details
from my e-mail records, but whether I can find the time and rescue
the raw data on the voting is yet to be seen.

This was the fairest, simplest and most effective solution I could
find last year, and most of the comments from the judges suggested
that it worked alright. I'm still hoping to refine it. I still want
to have some final editorial rights, just to keep the final resulting
exhibition balanced, but remember year one is only 20% of the
projected total.

In summary. If you are involved in the project, you can be part of
shaping its outcome. If you help me shape the selection, you will not
be subject to personal attack, because the results will remain with
me. I will keep an overall review on all selections, and I do try to
vet them: for example, the Leica representative sent in a selection
of 5 images, 2 of which NOONE else had chosen (one was mine) and all
of which had come from the "first" batch. I decided that this was not
adequate input, and that by his own admission, he had not had time to
really look at the total 775  images. I discarded his votes, and saw
my wonderful image ignored :-)  Every other voluntary judge did a
wonderful and I believe honest job. Only a handful of images stood
out above the others. Many photographers missed out all together --
not one of them has complained --- there have been comments of
disappointment, and some of resolve to do better.

My thanks again to all involved. I am quite happy to entertain all
comments on the judging process.

Cheers

- --
Alastair Firkin