Subject: [Leica] Re: Leicas on Tripods
From: "Victor Wek" <photvictor@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 22:05:51 +0000

Always, with cable release.
My tripod (with kind of electric tape on three metal legs) weights 2kg, and
I can carry it for few days of backpacking. Rarely, I shoot handheld, but my
shutter speed is at least 1/250sec. My tripod was used many times as a stick
in difficult conditions (river crossing, icy hills). My goal is to get the
best from Leica equipment and film. By using tripod I can see small
differences between fix Leica lenses and my 50/35/28 lens.
I use only slow slides on my hiking trip. Slides from medium format are
always better, because of "3D effect". General details and subtle color
changes are comparable between LeicaM and Yashica 124. Leica slides give me
impression that I can walk inside, but on MF slide the effect is stronger
and details pops up more. In my case final display is 1.5x1.5 meter for 35mm
and MF. I can only guess that with new MF lenses the overall effect can be
stronger.
Generally I take only M with me for few days trip, because of flexibility
combine with low equipment weight (M plus 2 lenses and 15mm Heliar), the 6x6
stays in my car. If I have a lot of pictures from the trail already, I take
only 6x6 plus light meter and leave Leica behind.
The Leica quality is sufficient to me for my landscape photos, if I would
make money out of it I will use bigger format.

Victor