Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: airport security kinda long. ;-)
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 11:18:24 -0400

The thing that I find really puzzling about this entire thread is the
amazingly egocentric nature of it. We are, our beloved President tells us, a
'nation at war.' We are 'at war' with people who intentionally kill
civilians, and who have already hijacked three of our airliners to use as
fuel bombs. While it is highly unlikely that they will ever again succeed in
reaching their intended destination after hijacking a plane - because the
passengers will undoubtedly fight back - there is also little doubt that
they will try again.

All of which means that air travel as we have known it ended on Sept. 11,
2001. We have finally joined the rest of the known world in being
inconvenienced by tougher airport security. Is this security fool proof?
Obviously not. Is it being run as efficiently as it could be? Of course not.
But is even the perhaps silly way it's being run now likely to greatly
reduce the odds of a highjacking - absolutely.

Yes, we are all going to be delayed and annoyed at the airport. Yes, it will
take longer to travel by air because we have to get to the airport much
earlier. Yes, there are times now when it will make more sense to drive,
take the train, or even the bus, than it will to fly.

So get over it...;-)

B. D.