Subject: Re: [Leica] Amtrak
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 11:14:08 EDT

Friends, let's compare apples and apples or oranges and oranges, not apples
and oranges. jls@runbox.com writes:

> I was just considering taking Amtrak to San Diego to visit
>  my mother in August. The round trip fare was reasonable! It was only $336,
>  about the same as plane fare, and the meals were "complimentary". What a
>  nice way to leisurely take a 2,000 mile trip in air-conditioned comfort
>  with no x-ray or para-military security guards. Then I scrolled down
>  further. For the creature comforts of having a bed to sleep in and a chair
>  to sit in and a window to look out of and a toilet, the total came to
$1,686!

Your $1686. was for a first-class deluxe bedroom for two people. Standard
bedroom - smaller and without its own toilet - is considerably less.

If you are not able to book 14 days in advance of travel and stay over a
Saturday night, here is what an airline ONE-WAY COACH ticket will cost you
from New York JFK to one of the major California airports, LA, FS or SD:
$1221.50; business class one-way will be $1820. and first class one-way will
be: $2179.

Amtrak's fares are based on availability. Right now, one-way coach seat from
New York Penn Station to San Francisco is a minimum of $177. and a maximum of
$314.

I've travelled coast-to-coast by coach. Very spacious reclining seats with
retractable footrests. I no longer do because I'd rather sleep in a bed.
Incidentally, meals are complimentary in first class, not in coach.

I can surely understand why one would prefer to fly for $336. rather than to
fly first class for $2179. or to rail for $1686. But make fair comparisons.

Best,

Seth        LaK 9