Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux Prices
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 18:51:26 +0200

John,

Well, sure, I do not find it immoral that the Swiss importer and dealers are
charging high prices. After all, we are not talking about a necessity of
life here. But it is not a case like you describe for Leica USA (low camera
prices and high accessory prices). Here, both the cameras and the
accessories are expensive. This is the case with most products in
Switzerland, not just Leicas. It is partly due to the fact that this country
has the highest per capita income in Europe, so the market will bear a lot,
but mainly due to the lack of effective competition in many Swiss retail
sectors. Most are dominated by a couple of big chains who live in a cosy
duopoly. Grey imports of Leicas do not exist. The only recourse for the
consumer is to buy abroad. If enough people do this, then Swiss dealers will
see the light.

Nathan

John Collier wrote:

> So in short, the Swiss Leica distributor is not ripping anyone off. They
> are balancing sales with profit margins. Often you are better off
> lowering your sales slightly but getting a good profit margin than you
> are if you reduce your price to the bone and sell cameras by the bucket
> full.

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland