Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux Prices
From: Darrell Jennings <darrell_jennings@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 04:12:08 -0700 (PDT)

The one in Zurich seems quite high (I don't know what
the EU has done to duties, but you should be able to
get this lens in Europe for less than $3K U.S.)... The
new import in NY would look like a good deal to me,
slightly more than a used one, but still new in box is
probably worth the extra $300.  Plus, while the
international warranty is not a easy to deal with as
the Passport warranty, you can send a lens in under
the international warranty and are only out a bit more
for shipping to do so...(so far with a number of Leica
lenses bought new and used, I've never had to send a
lens in for repair.  To me the warranty is more
critical for the camera, but that is based on personal
experience rather than real world data)...

Another alternative if you can find one...I bought two
reasonably inexpensive U.S. Passport lenses. I bought
a Noctilux in San Franciso at a camera store that was
a "salesmans demo".  It appeared to be new in the box
and had the Passport warranty. I think I paid $2100
for it. I also bought a used tri-Elmar on eBay from
someone that had not filled out the Passport warranty
paper work. I filled it out, mailed it in and got the
Passport warranty back. It's often just a matter of
patience, time and priority...how much do you want to
spend, what kind of condidition are you looking for,
and are you willing to pay a bit more for a Passport
warranty?

Good luck. It's a great lens...DJ