Subject: Re: [Leica] OT, B.D. I got it. D100
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 16:05:54 -0500

> And Steve, your monthly print magazine may demand film, and you may go on
> doing that until you retire - but the reality is that your magazine will, in
> terms of the way it's produced, come more and more to resemble the last of
> the ice wagons after the introduction of the electric refrigerator.

B.D.

Not true at all, iCOM is now read in over 105 countries at last count, and
growing. The reason that digital capture is now banned (only a recent
decision) is because of the inconsistency and other technical reasons that
cause all kinds of quality problems.

> I know I must be missing something here, because while, as I said above, I
> understand the preference for film, the loyalty to Leica, Rollei, etc. - a
> preference I share - I am really puzzled by what I view as a refusal to
> accept, deal with, etc. reality.

I don't know--I think I deal pretty well with reality, but I do not feel the
need to follow the thundering herd. I have the advantage of dealing with top
companies who are at the forefront of digital technology, Sony and
Panasonic, and, top executives have told me over and over that digital is
still many years behind 35mm film. Just because low end consumer usage has
increased dramatically (yes I know many pros are also going digital) and
will continue to increase, does not mean that I and others have to dive in
the digital pool. Having said that, I am NOT anti-digital, I realize that in
a very short few years we have all started living our lives on 'internet
time' and I am not so sure that is necessary or healthy.

I am not one who fools around with things that already work very well--my 45
year old wood sailboat leaks less than new fiberglass boats and my stick
shift car gets better gas mileage than an automatic.

> While I've joked about this in the past, it
> really is like someone who was using glass plates refusing to adapt to the
> introduction of film.

B.D. you need to get a grip, just because digital is there, it does not mean
you need it, because what you already have works very, very well.

> B. D.

IMHO

sl