Subject: RE: [Leica] OT, B.D. I got it. D100
From: "W O'Connell" <woc2@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 01:29:38 -0400

Sam,
  Keep me posted on the D100,  have not made the leap to a 'serious' digital
SLR yet but it's getting closer all the time.  Which Nikon is this on based
on?  Have not started the serious research yet.  Was thinking of the Fuji S1
but was not pleased that it used the N60 platform.
I use the IBM 1 gig drive in my Olympus E10, which holds 4 AA batteries.
1st thing I noticed is the battery drain using 1400mh batteries, it was the
pits.  I got some NEXCELL 1800mh jobbies and the change was amazing.  I
really didn't think the 400mh difference would matter that much but figured
it was worth the effort.  Great idea as it turns out.  I have not measured
the time difference between that and the 256 CF card I have, or the IBM 340
for that matter.  It does seem to take a bit longer but the E10 allows me to
stack a few shots and the only time it's a chore is at auto races.  My wife
just took a trip and put about 375 hi rez images on the 1 gig.  She noticed
that she could get about 100 on average before it was time to change the
batteries.  We tend to travel with 3 sets of batteries and I use a MAHA
quick charger that also comes with a cigar plug to use in a pinch.  (I get
the batteries and charger from a company called Sunn Battery Co in Florida
in the event you need some for your new toy).
Bill

 Sam Krneta wrote in part..

My camera shop called this afternoon to tell me my cargo had arrived. My
D100 that is. "You better get you're a** over here before I sell it for
more than the asking price"

snip

Do you or any other Lugger have any thoughts on the IBM micro drive? Is
there any inherent lag due to its being a mechanical device as apposed
to compact flash being solid state? I imagine there would be additional
draw on the battery, but I wonder how much. IBM says that it draws 20
milliamps at standby and 250 when writing. How would that compare to
compact flash? Any electronic whizzes out there?

Sam Krneta