Subject: Re: [Leica] To M7 or not to M7, c'est la question - LONG
From: Simon Lamb <simon@sclamb.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 22:19:38 +0100

On 2/7/02 8:57 pm, "Mark Rabiner" <mark@markrabiner.com> wrote:

> Well I have 2 M6's. A Classic. And a TTL. Next time i call the store and
> tell me to send me a Leica it's the M7 they'll be selling and that's
> what I'm going to get. When i use the camera for a few weeks I'll find
> out it has advantages and problems I'd never anticipated.
> But I've used AE before and it was loads of fun.
> The fact that the shutter speeds are stepless kind of makes me feel good.
> My camera wants 127th of a second for this wall, 128th for that one!
> The accuracy of that amazes me! I'd have had it set at 125th of course
> and thought i was doing OK!
> Splitting hairs can drive you crazy but when it's automatic it doesn't
> bother me.
>
> If the M7 Doesn't work out I'll go back to M6's. Maybe even sell the M7.
> Buy and M4.
>
> Why don't they have a hand held meter you can wear on your lapel?
>
> Mark Rabiner
> Portland, Oregon USA
> http://www.markrabiner.com

Would 1/125th have been so bad?  Even one as talented as you Mark cannot
possibly see the difference that 2 or 3 thousandths of a second could make
;-)

I for one am changing my opinion of the M7 based upon the practical feedback
of people like Ted and Tina.  I just hope that the price stabilises nearer
to the current M6 level rather than the premium price that it currently
commands.  After all, we aren't talking about new technology here, and I am
sure as the M7 moves nearer to the current competition that accept M lenses
the price comparison will become more valid.

What I don't quite understand is, if Ted, Tina and others find the AE of
such benefit to get many more perfectly exposed images, why didn't they a
long time ago purchase one of the competitors (that accept M lenses) that
have the M7 features and much more?

This is a genuine questions and hopefully Ted, Tina or someone else might
answer.

Simon

Replies: Reply from Jeffery Smith <jls@runbox.com> (Re: [Leica] To M7 or not to M7, c'est la question - LONG)
Reply from Paul Chefurka <paul@chefurka.com> (Re: [Leica] To M7 or not to M7, c'est la question - LONG)