Subject: RE: [Leica] Eyeglasses and diopter adjustment lenses
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 22:32:00 -0700

Richard.. my reading perscription from my Dr. is +2.  I went to a Leica
store and tried +1.5, +2, +1.0, 0 (no diopter) and -.5.  There was no +.5
available.  This was on a .72 Leica M7 ( I have a M6, but the VF should be
the same) and compared to a M6 ( mine) so I could swap diopters and try
things out as a comparison.....

The +1.5 should have been perfect, given the finder is supposed to be a +.5
on its own ands assuming my reading perscription is what I should be
equating to........ wrong... The best I could tell was 0.. none...  with the
+1 equally good/bad... so I think maybe that I need a +.5

Note that the -.5 was substanbtially worse than the 0.  So a - anything
looks worng for me as well...

I tried this with my glasses on and off... with virtually little change...
the glasses were used in the chin down position, using the far distance
perscription......

My conclusion is that you can not guess nor calculate .. you must go to a
store and try the things out.....  YMMV

I have tried this twice now.. once on my Hassy, and now on the Leica....
Neither worked as the equations should have....I use a chimney finder ont he
Hassy that has a variable Diopter built in and the PME 90, ditto the
adjustability.....

The M6 is unsuccessful to date....

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net