Subject: Re: [Leica] Eyeglasses and diopter adjustment lenses
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 10:01:36 +0200

>This past day or so, someone answered a question about the use of diopter
>correction lenses with an M.  The response said that you should match the
>READING prescription..... could I please get a confirmation of this fact?

Only true in very specific situations. Probably not true for you if
you are way over 40. Then your problems is likely to be that your eye
can not focus sharp at different viewing distances, just at one
limited range of distances. That range may well be further away than
infinity or shorter than reading distance. I am short sighted on one
eye and far sighted on the other. When I was young, I used single
strength glasses that corrected one eye in one direction and the
other in the other direction to something like a medium distance. My
eyes then did the fine tuning to reading distance or to infinity as
required by the situation. With age, my eyes were no longer capable
of too much fine tuning, so I started wearing bifocals. Now bifocals
are no good for me as they leave the middle range out of focus if
your eyes get 'inflexible' and I have started using glasses with
continously variable focus. They are great, but the sharp field is a
bit narrow for reading over a long period of time, so I also have
reading glasses.

Reading glasses, and M diopter correction lenses at reading glass
strength, are great for focusing, but only at reading distance. Both
are worthless for focusing at mid range and infinity.

Glasses with continously variable focus are great for focusing M
cameras at all distances. The normal problems with focusing with
glasses prevail, like not being able to see the whole viewfinder area.

Unfortunately there are no variable focus correction lenses for M
cameras as the camera viewfinder requires you to look through the
center of the lens while the variable focus lenses require you to
look at different sections of the lenses for correctly focusing
distant and near objects.

Chris