Subject: [Leica] Ben Heppner in Edmonton
From: "Victor Wek" <photvictor@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:56:31 +0000

Last week I had a chance to be on Ben Heppner concert. This was his first
performance here, but not the first time he visited Edmonton, his mom lived
here. He is one of the best opera tenors at present, he performs in
Metropolitan Opera, makes recording for Deutsche Grammophone, and I know him
from wonderful Wagner operas. He lives in Vancouver, Canada.
I was not sure how to approach this concert photographically; I decided to
take M6, 50/1, 90/2 and Fuji colorpress 800 film to keep my luggage to
minimum. I was thinking about taking a flash unit, but the M6
synchronization is only 1/50, and on my SB28 I can not set f1!
Before entrance to the hall an usher told me that I have to leave my bag
outside. When I went to the storage room she decided it is OK to have a bag
and P&S camera (my M6). Before second part I was asked not to take pictures,
the usher told me she will take my camera! Because I already had 15 pictures
and I liked to listen more, I decided not to take any photo during the
second part of the performance. As we know from many stories on LUG, nobody
cares about Point & Shoot flashes going off from time to time. After concert
I went to rehearsal with Ben, and everyone was told to take pictures of him.
One concert volunteer and concert organizer were happy that someone took
some pictures. Score 4:2 in favor of taking pictures on this event. Last
week I was trying to force my lab to make proper printout, and one photo set
went to the concert non-profitable organizer.
It was great to see his breading technique on stage, when during the air
intake he can keep sound flowing. His voice can be almost as powerful as
whole symphonic orchestra. I would say his voice is 1 stop less laud then
the whole orchestra. During the conversation after the concert I was
surprised; he interacts normally with other people. He does not have big
star personality. May be because he worked on car windows repair before he
became famous singer.
To present few pictures to fellow LUGers I signet up with photo.net. I used
Fuji colorpress 800 film there:
1. Ben is entering the stage; the conductor is in the far. M6, 90/2 ASPH at
f2, 1/250
2. Ben concentration before next song, M6, 90/2 ASPH at f2, 1/250
3. Ben sings. M6, 90/2 ASPH at f2, 1/250
4. Ben discussion with public. M6, 50/1 at f1, 1/125
5. Ben portrait at f1, He kept still for few seconds, when I was trying to
get his eyes in perfect focus. M6, 50/1 at f1, 1/125
6. Young girls from local Youth Orchestra. M6, 50/1 at f1, 1/125

The photos I share with you, and any comment is welcome,
Victor