Subject: Re: [Leica] newbie with a serial # question
From: "Matthew M Smith" <matthewmsmith3@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 07:49:43 -0400

Eric:

I can't guarantee accuracy, but this site has serial numbers.
http://www.leicagallery.com/lensdates.htm
The part of the site with specific information on the 50 summicron
[http://www.kbcamera.com/summicron50m.htm] doesn't list an ending s/n for
type 3, or any serial numbers for type 4, but you can cross reference the
dates with the first link.

The lens date table suggests that lenses with serial numbers after 3,730,290
were produced after 1994.  This would make the lens in question (3,746,987)
a type 4.

<<Eric said:
I have been scouring the net for M lens serial number info to no avail.>>