Subject: Re: [Leica] Good bokeh from 135 APO
From: Mark Rabiner <>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 12:21:09 -0700

"Zeissler, Mitch" wrote:
> All...
> I recently picked up a used 135 APO and am slowly getting familiar with it.  So far I have not had many opportunities for candid portraiture, but have been practicing instead on flora.  Below is a link to the best shot I recently took of some irises at a local aquatic plant / pond / koi center:
> Specs for the shot are: M6/135 APO, Portra 400 NC @ EV 220, 1/1000 @ f/5.6
> I am very pleased with the bokeh and painterly color rendition of this image, as it reminds me of the watercolor images I used to create many years ago and is similar to the imagery I can get with the Noct.
> As far as immediate observations of the 135 APO are concerned, I really like the weight savings it has over the 1974 135 f/2.8 goggled version I'd been using and that it isn't as bulky; not only does my back appreciate it, but I can hold it up for very long periods without my arms tiring.  Most of the shots I've taken with it appear to be much cleaner than those I took with the goggled version, as if some lens flare has been removed.  I do miss the framing of the goggles, though; even with my M6 0.85 and the 1.25x magnifier.  I don't find the half stop difference between the two [f/2.8 vs. f/3.4] to be significant; both are *way* too slow to be used handheld at slow shutter speeds in low light with slow emulsions.  The SF20 bounce setup I cobbled together works as well with it as with the goggled version.
> Any comments are appreciated.
> /Mitch

HI Mitch! The out of focus yellow stuff in the foreground makes it look
like it was shot though a glass window. There is a vertical drip effect
on the yellow which adds to that effect. But i like the shot and love
the lens which i use myself.
Someday I'll be using mine with a dedicated .85 M7 with 1.25 magnifier
screwed in the eyepiece from behind. But in the meanwhile I've done OK
with just a .72 M6.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA