Subject: Re: [Leica] Mac User and Programmer
From: Pete Su <psu@kvdpsu.org>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 14:47:13 -0400

I've used Unix machines, Macs and Windows machines for the better part
of the last 20 years.

I've done extensive development (programming) work on the original
MacOS, Unix, and now the new Mac OS X.

What you learn when you use computers too much is

1. There is a correct tool for every job, and no single platform is the
right tool for every job.

2. Users don't like change. Hence all the Mac OS X angst. OS X fixes
huge deficiencies in the OS 9 platform, esp. with regard to the
performance of the machine when performing multiple tasks at the same
time. But, to get there, the interface changed to be a hybrid of the
traditional Mac UI and pieces of NeXTstep (NeXT is where Jobs went in
1985 when Apple chucked him). Maybe things could have turned out
differently, but they didn't. So this is what we have. It's probably the
case that we'd either have this or Apple would currently be gone or part
of some other company.

3. Computer people tend to be zealots, but this does you no good.

4. SA == system administrator.

I'm back using and programming Macintoshes now, after a long haitus. I
have to say that from a developer's point of view, Mac OS X is miles
ahead of what we used to suffer with on earlier versions of the MacOS.

Lots of things are better than in Windows too, but Windows still
probably has a wider and deeper base of tools for developing various
kinds of applications, esp. database related apps.

For what I do, I like Macs more. They are familiar in two ways: in the
macish way, and in the Unix way, and that makes me happy.

But, I'm just one user/programmer. All the other uses have to choose for
themselves. Calling the platform and its users stupid is just childish
and arrogant.

Pete

Replies: Reply from Ken Wilcox <klw.51@comcast.net> ([Leica] Re: Mac User and Programmer)