Subject: Re: [Leica] unreal computer set-up!!
From: "\(SonC\) Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 20:28:07 -0500

 > We sure do.  Those Mac's at school are always in need of support from
your's
> truly.  The PC's just keep humming along.
>
> Aram

Thanks, Aram, as much as I hate to see this dreadful thread continue,  I
agree. we have two Mac labs in our University and untold numbers of PC.  One
of our Librarians runs a Mac, and there is no one at the University Computer
Center skilled enough at Mac to help her with issues.

It falls to me to spend time on hold, waiting for some apple support to help
figure out how to plug her into a Windows domain server.  (That took 1 hour
and 50 minutes, , ya wanna see my telephone logs?

When something breaks, it takes time to get someone here.  There are
mechanical problems with macs as well as pc's.  and when you are 250 miles
from the next major city then  the problems compound.

I think Macs are elegant.  I particularly like the way they look.  However,
when a Cube gets broken, it is not easy to fix, or even open.  When a PC
gets broken, I know how to dive in and fix it.

Regarding Photoshop, if you are not working in Pre-Press the product is
identical.  I helped a dear friend of mine build a website on his mac, and
the only place I felt at home was when we were working in Photoshop.

Truth is, you CAN do a better job with a Mac for a print job.  But then the
print shop screws up the pantone anyhow, and you have to send it back, so
advantage?  Zero.

This whole thread sounds like the rednecks around here arguing Ford and
Chevy.

As our list owner sez, You are not gonna change anyone's mind, especially
mine, since I do indeed live 250 miles from a mac tech, and we DO need them.
Macs do break.

Sonny
http://www.sonc.com

Replies: Reply from Jeffery Smith <jls@runbox.com> (Re: [Leica] This week's PAW from Jim Shulman)