Subject: [Leica] getting permision of kissing couples
From: Kyle Cassidy <KCassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 12:24:51 -0400

>While walking around Lisbon during a visit last year I made several photos
>of kissing couples in parks or outdoor cafes. In such stationary situations
>it is indeed possible to obtain permission in the tacit way you describe,

about 4 years ago, bernard delgado, who is no longer on the list but was at
the time was walking through centeral park and saw a guy get down on his
knees in a fountian to propose to his girlfriend. bernard sniped about
twenty photos from behind a tree with a 90. after the proposal was joyously
accepted and the guy climbed out of the fountian bernard approached them,
introduced himself, got their names and the new york times printed one of
the photos. the couple couldn't have been happier to have a momento of this
moment.

in the same vein, while covering heyday here at penn two years ago (heyday,
for those of you not in the ivy league, is when the university president
officially makes the junior class the senior class and everybody starts
drinking at about six in the morning and continues till they pass out,
around four in the afternoon, during which time they beat one another with
bamboo canes and eat each other's styrofoam hats, i kid you not) and i
photographed a couple kissing in a sea of penn students, it was a fantastic
shot but they were absolutely horrified when i went to get their names, they
were adamant that they didn't want the picture in print as, the man finally
told me, they were cheating on their respective partners at the time (in
front of about two thousand witnesses). so i kept the photo out of the
layout. but it's real nice.

kc