Subject: Re: [Leica] development for scanning
From: John Straus <Mail@SlideOne.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 17:31:01 -0500

on 6/3/02 4:41 PM, Mark Rabiner at mark@markrabiner.com wrote:

> Would a double scan from a dense extended range but blocked up neg
> produce a better image than a single scan made from a neg with a
> comfortable tonal range which can be easily dealt with?
> I don't know for sure but my vote at this point would go to the single scan.
> I'm more a darkroom expert than digital but over developing my negs?
> I'd not even do that to make a platinum print!
>
> A fried Negative is a tragedy!

Yeah, a good neg is a good neg. Get your shadow detail to show up with
proper exposure & development. A dense neg is no ones friend. If you need to
do a double scan for the highlights to not be blown out do it. Also
different types of scanners reveal different "attributes" of a neg depending
on they type of light source used etc. Scanners will be what changes over
the upcoming years and hopefully for the better. Just think of the day that
your scanner will be able to pull all that info off your neg and all you
have to do is push the print button ;)
- --
John Straus
Chicago, IL