Subject: Re: [Leica] Newington CT
From: Roy Zartarian <rzartarian@snet.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 22:30:18 -0400

On Sunday 02 June 2002 07:01 pm, Edward Caliguri wrote:
> Hi All-
> -- New Haven - Hamden had the big (by our Northeast standards) Tornado in
> 1989 (give or take a year) when we were living there. My wife was in Med
> School at Yale and I was in veterinary School at Tufts. It's also famous
> for the fact that it is home to the building where one picks up their
> lottery winnings (there was a disgruntled employee shooting there about the
> same time , 1990, as well but we won't go there) The nearby Berlin Turnpike
> had some 'fun' ;-) roadside attractions which I will not name here (this is
> a family LUG List right?

Well, the Lottery shootings in 1997 resulted in a move of the operation to
another town. The Newington stretch of the Turnpike has become quite a bit
sanitized.  There's even a Walmart now which I must confess I patronize for
processing the occasional roll of C41.  One drive-in has become a shopping
center, and the other is defunct, though the screen and signs still stand.The
Torchlight is gone and the Kitchen a mere shadow of its former self.  The
Grantmoor, a motel which offered in-room movies and gel beds for "short term"
stays, is, I believe, no longer owned by a member of one of the major New
York crime families. To get back on topic, the central Conn. LUG has gathered
at clean. well lighted places on the Turnpike for its sporadic gatherings,
and some of the Town's annual report covers bear photographs taken with
Leicas.

Roy