Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica User wanting feedback on MF camera
From: John Straus <Mail@SlideOne.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 15:00:47 -0500

on 5/31/02 2:08 PM, Mark Rabiner at mark@markrabiner.com wrote:

> Companion?
> companion for what?

Umm...I think it says...M

> I can't see why 8x10's and 11x14's require that kind of real estate.
> Subject matter?
> Even fast film in 35mm makes for grainless sharp and beautiful prints
> these sizes.
> And OF what? hand held? Tripod?

Without getting into another size debate. I can easily see a difference
between MF 8x10's and 11x14's vs 35mm. I guess it just depends on what you
want. If you think your Leica, shooting fast film, makes grainless sharp
beautiful prints comparing to a MF neg, great. I'd say you have the Leica
Box pulled over your eyes. To me 8x10 is a good max for 35mm Leica glass or
not. This is only a personal preference. You can easily make a larger print
and it could look good, again it all depends what you want in the end.

> The kind of grab shooting Leica is known for is not going to happen with
> the Mamiya 7.
> Not enough depth of field.
> And i understand there are close focusing issues.

Nor with the 2 645 systems that were brought up be good for "Grab Shooting"
and no one said they would be. The person who was asking never said what he
would use them for.

> But it least it's a rangefinder camera.
> Unlike the Contax 645 or the Mamiya 645 AF(D) which have nothing at all
> to do with Leica in any stretch of the imagination…

This was the point, RF & RF...

- --
John Straus
Chicago, IL