Subject: RE: [Leica] Wanted .75 Diopter
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 22:16:28 +0200

>B.D. wrote:
>>This reminds me....does anyone out there have a .75 diopter their eyes
>
>B.D., do you need the diopter *with* your glasses, or do you take off the
>glasses when photographing?  And are you nearsighted or farsighted?
>
>I'm dealing with the glasses issue myself.  My eyes are fairly deep-set,
>and I can't see the 35mm frame on a .72x viewfinder with glasses.  I can
>see and focus fine with "monovision" contact lenses (viewing with my
>"distance" eye).  So far, I'd rather use contacts than get a .58
>viewfinder.
>
>When I do use glasses, I end up having to take them off after focusing
>every time I want to use the 35mm frame.  Not exactly decisive moment
>territory.  If the diopter is for use without glasses, the same problems
>apply.
>
>Anyway, I remember someone here mentioning that they use the diopter in
>*addition* to their glasses.  Why would that be necessary, assuming one
>looks through the top rather than the bottom of one's bifocals?
>
>--Peter Klein
>Seattle, WA

If you need bifocals or tri-focals, then your (i.e. my) problem is
that the eye is unable to make adjustment for different viewing
distances. An additional fixed diopter viewfinder lens will not solve
camera rangefinder focusing problem, except at one specific subject
distance. What helps me is my eyeglasses with variable diopters, I
guess tri-focals or bifocals would help too, although to a lesser
extent. The little screw-on viewfinder lens is of no value to me.