Subject: Re: [Leica] Asking permission, KISS & the decisive moment
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 12:21:13 -0500

wajsman@webshuttle.ch (Nathan Wajsman)5/30/024:44 PM

> > decisive moments. So I asked him if I could take his picture.
He gave me an
> unequivocal No.
>
> In this case I think that you did right in asking, since the
guy was probably
> not going away right then and there, and by having his
> permission you would be free to move around him while he
worked, getting closer,
> choosing the best angle etc., all of which would give you
> a better picture than just a quick snap. The fact that he said
NO is just bad
> luck.

You may have improved your "luck" had you engaged him in some
conversation about his work; showing interest, etc. You may then
have told him a bit about your own work. Perhaps, "I'm interested
in recording master craftsmen who do fine work with their hands."
would have made all the difference in his possible perception of
"some guy with a camera grabbing a shot of me - what for?".

George