Subject: RE: [Leica] Memorial Day shots - or,speculation why Memorial Day services draw more former grunts than brass
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 11:12:24 -0400

Really interesting question, Slobodan. Two possible answers come to mind -
and both may be totally off-base:

The first is that perhaps many officers who actually got their feet dirty
feel guilt or remorse over the loss of men who served under them, and don't
want to be reminded of those loses;

The second is that for many grunts, who - if we're talking about Vietnam -
tended to come from "blue collar" backgrounds, time in the service was a
high point in their lives, while many of the officers, who were college
graduates, may see their service time as a mere bump in the highway of their
lives. A bump they would rather forget.

As I say, I realize that these are gross generalities, and I may be
completely wrong.

B. D.