Subject: Re: [Leica] Canine issue update - good news [very long]
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 14:47:35 -0700

On 5/25/02 Mark Rabiner  wrote:

>I recently read that the Rottweiler is the most popular dog. I could not
>believe my eyes.

I know what you mean. My neighbor has one and it just plain SCARES me. I think
there is something about owning a living lethal weapon that appeals to some
people.

I hate to admit it but I've been on the verge of buying a shotgun just for
defense against it, and serveral other large dogs, that live nearby.

I haven't because I seriously thought about it and couldn't see me really USING
it in any sort of level-headed way. I'd be most likely to use it when angry or
scared and those are just when I'd be most likely to make a bad decision. I know
there are those who would suggest "how wimpy" but frankly I don't like killing
things and having a weapon in the house could get it used against me rather that
by me.

I thank a Master Chief in the Navy for that insight. He was qualifying us on .45
automatics and made us THINK about what using one would mean. We had rules of
engagement before we ever chambered a cartridge or even loaded the clip. Doing
so meant we intended to kill someone. Now I could defend a nuclear weapon or the
boat's crew and reactor plant. That's what I was paid for. I think the police
are paid to deal with the other stuff. And anyone bad enough to invade my house
with a weapon is badder than me, that's for sure.

Adam

Replies: Reply from Dan Cardish <dcardish@sympatico.ca> (RE: [Leica] Canine issue update - good news [very long])
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com> (Re: [Leica] Canine issue update - good news [very long])