Subject: Re: [Leica] M3, KR, and other ancient tools
From: "Will" <wlarsen@ocsnet.net>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 09:58:48 -0700

Dave,
Thanks for posting the picture.  California's Central Valley
is little understood by the outside world.  (and the
location is only a few miles from West Coast Imaging in
Oakhurst)!

| The photograph was shot with my 1954 M3 (first production
run complete with
| glass back plate) and a 50/2.8 Elmar collapsible (the '60s
version, not the
| latest). Ironically, I sold the lens several years ago
because I read
| somewhere that it wasn't very good. That was back when
worried about such
| things :-). The film was KR25. Aperture was f4. Don't know
the shutter
| speed, but it was slow. The image was underexposed, which
is why scanning
| was difficult. Here's the image (not the 60MB version,
just a 100K JPEG :-))

| http://www.lightcurves.com/agriculture/peaches.htm
|
| The tree in the photo was one-of-a-kind, some kind of
white peach hybrid.
| It died a couple of years ago and with it one of the most
delicious fruits
| I've ever tasted. Munching on exotic varieties of peaches
all summer long
| is one of the things I remember about growing up in the
San Joaquin Valley
| of California. I don't miss the weeks of 100 degree plus
says in July and
| August. But I miss the fruit, and the smell summer. This
image brings that
| all back. It becomes more important with each passing
year.