Subject: RE: [Leica] Canine issue update - good news [very long]
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 12:39:15 -0400

Re-reading and thinking the original post this a.m., I have to say I really
agree with Austin on this one..;-)...

I, too, am a dog owner/lover and have been all my life. But "stalking
children?"

'Sleepy' time for Rex....

Oh, and, yes, if I had a dog that I thought could be a threat to any child,
I would get rid of it...and did just that once...I had "rescued" a gorgeous,
HUGE standard Poodle - like 85 lbs huge, which we had been told had been
abused. Put myself and the dog through intensive training and the dog
responded beautifully. Dog would let my then three-year-old son climb on
him. But one day while at work I got a call from my wife who said "'your
dog' has just snarled at..."...a toddler who was visiting and had come up
behind the dog and patted him on the rump...dog spun around and
snarled...Didn't snap. Didn't lunge. But snarled. My response to my
wife..."Take 'my dog' downstairs to my office, lock him in with a bowl of
water, and call the trainer and tell him the dog needs a new home where
there are no children and never will be." Dog left that evening for a home
way out in the country owned by a gay male couple - who were specifically
told why the dog was leaving our home.

B. D.

And, yes, if I had it to do all over again, I would have had the dog 'put
down,' despite being quite attached to him.

Replies: Reply from Dan Cardish <dcardish@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] Canine issue update - good news [very long])
Reply from Ken Wilcox <klw.51@comcast.net> ([Leica] RE: Canine issue update - good news [very long])
Reply from "lea" <lea@whinydogpress.com> (Re: [Leica] Canine issue update - good news [very long])
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com> (Re: [Leica] Canine issue update - good news [very long])