Subject: RE: [Leica] How does the Leica R8 calculate exposure in matrix metering mode?
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 15:20:20 -0500

bdcolen@earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)5/24/022:14 PM

> matrix or any other form of metering may insure that you will
have at least
> one correctly exposed frame out of three, it never insures that
you have the
> right frame correctly exposed.

Not sure we're talking about the same thing - but I'm using the
term bracketing to refer to a shooting situation where I'm
watching things change and making decisions along the way. For me
this may apply to any number of situations where I get the shot
as the meter recommends, next frame, new action, I consciously
make a decision to delve into the shadows a bit more, next shot I
consciously, make a decision to bring the highlights down, next
shot, new action, I may be back on the meter's recommendation or
I may have decided to keep exposing more for the shadows. As with
any such discussion the subject determines the thinking. If we're
talking KKK rally, or a bridal gown, I'll go for the highlight
detail, etc. In all cases I'm working with in a bracket range
that all shots will be useable. But I'll have subtle effect
differences to choose from. I have only held the botton down on
motor drives once or twice and then it was just to have that fun.

George