Subject: [Leica] Re:"Cranky and awkward" Screw mounts
From: Robert Marvin <marvbej@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 19:21:10 -0400

- --
At 8:12 AM -0700 5/23/02,B.D. Colin wrote:
(about screw-mount Leicas)
they are cranky and
awkward to use compared to any "modern" rangefinder, starting with at least
the Contax II and III series, and certainly the M3.

I certainly don't want to revive the 1930's Leica v. Contax wars, and
I don't own a Contax, but when I'm not using my IIIf or IIIa I'm
likely to be using a very good example of a Kiev 4a--next best thing
to a Contax II (when they work--mine does, especially after a CLA by
Trescam). I bought the camera out of curiosity--Robert Capa must have
known something when he switched from Leica to Contax) and because I
wanted something REALLY cheap and expendable for poor weather, etc.

My 1969 Contaxski produces very good pictures with its 50/1.5, 85/2,
and 35/2.8 Jupiters. The shutter is as quiet as my IIIa and nearly as
quiet as my IIIf, although its Contax-style wheeze at slow speeds
certainly sounds DIFFERENT. However, for me at least, the camera is
considerably more awkward that my Leicas. The Leica film advance
knobs can be worked as quickly as a lever by running your forefinger
against them. The Kiev (and I presume the Contax II) knob requires a
much slower motion between your thumb and forefinger. Likewise, the
small pull-up Leica rewind knob works (for me) much faster than the
contax-style rewind knob (and you don't have to hold a sprocket
release button down). Contax-style focusing is considerably faster
with a 50, but, with an aux. VF for other lenses the magnified,
adjustable diopter Leica RF is superior (and, you don't need an
awkward "Contax crab" hold to avoid blocking the RF window). The
Contax-style shutter speed knob doesn't spin and is in only one
piece, but the numbers (on my Kiev and the Contax IIs I've looked at)
are very hard to see (later Kiev 4am cameras have nice clear numbers,
but are poorly made and don't feel like the real thing).

Compared to Leica Ms, the screw mounts may not hold up as well, but
for someone like me with small hands and strong left eye dominance
they still make sense.

I do agree with B.D. about V/C screw mount lenses--the two I have (15
& 35/1.7) are great (but I wouldn't be replacing my collapsible
Summicron anytime soon.

Needless to say, if I was a professional it would be prudent to use
MUCH newer equipment, but one of the nicer things about being an
amateur is only having to please yourself.

Bob Marvin

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (Re: [Leica] They are here)
Reply from "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@clearsightusa.com> ([Leica] They are here)