Subject: [Leica] Re: 2 cam damage to an R6? Nah
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 18:35:57 -0700

At 05:24 PM 5/17/2002 -0700, David Young wrote:

>Actually, Jim... it *is* there.  On page 7 of my R8 manual it says "Earlier
>Leicaflex/SL/SL2 lenses without the R control cam must not be used since
>these can damage the camera." My R6 manual has a similar prohibition.
>
>Now, I agree, it doesn't make sense that a "no-cam" extender, extension
>tube, viso lens on adapter etc., should work; but not the one or two cam
>lenses.
>
>In the R8's case, I'd even suppose that the cam shorted out the ROM
>contacts, but this is obviously not the case, because if the older lenses
>have the third (R) cam added, they work fine according to the factory!
>
>And Doug Herr's earlier post makes sense. And we all agree that nobody has
>ever had a problem with this... so why the dire warnings from Leica?
>
>I guess I'm just too curious  - that's all.  :)

I've had R4's through R7's and have used every conceivable lens. No
problems. I don't remember reading this in my R6 manual. I know the R8 with
it's ROM contacts has some warnings. But if a cam is not there, it cannot
cause damage.

My R7 manual says "avoid damaging your R7 when using lenses w/o a control
cam." I think there was a translation problem here. A missing cam cannot
damage anything! The Leica Handbook doesn't mention damage. It just says
that control cams can be added to older lenses for full function use on the
R cameras. And as long as you don't have it set-up for an R8, the lens will
still work properly on a Leicaflex. But if modified for use with an R8, it
will no longer work on a Leicaflex.

I think Leica may have been trying to stop phone calls from folks who got
lousy exposures because they didn't know how to do stop-down metering.

??

Jim

Replies: Reply from "Karina Klaas" <shutterbug@iinet.net.au> (Re: [Leica] Noctilux and yellow film over rangefinder)
Message from Mark Kronquist <mak@teleport.com> ([Leica] 2 cam damage to an R6? Nah)