Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Photoshop dilemma
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 12:38:30 -0600

> We must clarify and find agreement on definitions in discussions
> such as this.
>
> Jerry Ulesman = photographer
> photograph = one image made with a camera
> photomontage = combining two or more images
>
> so
>
> Jerry Ulesman = both photographer and photomontage artist, most
> widely known for his work as photomontage artist.
>
> His most acclaimed images = photomontages made up of two or more
> photographs.
>
> George

So does Gene Smith = photomontage artist...? (or was he using a cardboard
cut-out shape, so it really isn't a photomontage)- either way -

My point being that one of WE Smith's most well known "photographs" has
generally been accepted as such, despite the manipulation. It captures a
truth about Schweitzer that Smith's camera didn't - but overall, it's still
considered a photograph

tim a

tim a