Subject: RE: [Leica] Photoshop dilemma
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 17:03:56 -0500

darrell_jennings@yahoo.com (Darrell Jennings)5/12/022:29 PM

> don't see the difference between Photoshop and burning
> and dodging.

If we're going to have this discussion, let us be a bit more
specific. We can certainly agree that there's not much difference
between burning and dodging in the darkroom or burning and
dodging in PhotoShop. Or adjusting levels in PhotoShop and
choosing the contrast of a paper in the darkroom. But this thread
began with a question regarding changing a background - putting
an individual and a machine in a space that they didn't occupy.
In journalistic terms - a visual misrepresentation - a lie. In
artistic terms - potentially a work of art. Big difference.

> If you think the purpose of a photo is to somehow
> convey truth, I think that battle was lost long ago.
> A photo, like the written word only conveys what the
> photographer or writer wants to convey.  If that is
> truth (what one hopes for in a photo journalist), then
> great,

The questions around manipulation only have relevance if we're
discussing journalism and/or documentary work.

> if not, the only question is do you like the
> image?  Does it make you think or feel something that
> the photographer wants you to think or feel.

Fair enough for expressive graphic art. Makes no sense in terms
of journalistic, scientific, or documentary work.

> If you are looking for "purity" in photography, then
> why not require all photos to be taken by people with
> no opinions or points of view of people with no

Not sure anyone, before now, has suggested looking for "purity"
(whatever that means) - simply honesty and integrity in forms of
photography where the viewers expect such intentions from the
photographers and images. To remain viable - such work - more and
more will require notification of authenticity - as more and more
visual communication will be about special effects and
propoganda.

George