Subject: Re: [Leica] what's Piezography?
From: Andrew Moore <dmm@bronze.lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 08:52:16 -0400 (EDT)

> The latest printers are now printing in drop sizes of 2 picoliters. Last
> year it was 4, which is barely visible with a loupe. What you've seen is
> usually about 12. The hottest of the gallery-quality inkjets was the Iris
> printer, which was 8, and is now pretty much obsolete.

An interesting thing about piezography is that supposedly the drop size
does not matter.  I.e., the 20 picoliter drop of the Epson 3000 produces
the same results as the 4 picoliter Epson 1280.  (at least I think I have
the drop sizes correct there).  While the manufacturers/marketers are
one-upping each other on drop sizes, piezography comes along and seems to
make the obsolete 20 picoliter printers competitive once again.

Take it with the usual grain of salt -- I don't know much about the
subject and I haven't compared piezo prints side by side from different
printers.