Subject: [Leica] Re: M7 at a Bris
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 09:20:27 -0700

At 09:34 AM 5/8/2002 -0600, John Collier wrote:
>If the M7 had a button or a switch that would allow you to hold a setting
>for multiple exposures, you would be right. Unfortunately the M7 in AE
>mode only locks the setting for one exposure. In this situation I would
>meter manually once and just keep shooting until the light changed. This
>is not something you can do with the M7 in AE.
>
>It needs to have either a better AE lock or matrix metering in AE mode. I
>would greatly prefer a better AE lock.
>
>John Collier

I agree completely. I was disappointed when I discovered that the AE lock
was momentary.

My Hasselblad 203FE has AE mode just like the M7.

HOWEVER...

It as another AE mode (called D mode) that when you press the button to
lock the exposure where the camera is pointed, that exposure is LOCKED
until hell freezes over, or the battery eventually dies, whichever comes
first. Or, of course, you can push the button again while pointed somewhere
else, or change modes to AE or M. But while in D mode, whatever your last
reading was, is locked until you physically do something to change it.

This is a killer mode. It is so great, I cannot understand why other camera
makers do not include this mode. The nice thing is that with a touch of a
finger, while photographing, you can adjust the locked-in exposure in +/-
1/3 stops. And where you are relative to the stored original exposure is
always visible in the viewfinder.

I can take one reading, and shoot an entire roll (24 frames), or even more
rolls, without ever taking another meter reading.

Lovely,

Jim