Subject: Re: Re: [Leica] Re: Doing your own color
From: CHRISTOPHER.CHEN@customs.treas.gov
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 11:06:10 -0400

Sounds a bit like an update of the method used by the "prima donna" photog
in Bill Clough's Ansel Adams anecdote!

"Well, Mr. Adams," he said in a slightly sanctimonious
voice, "at major magazines, such as 'Better Homes and
Gardens,' all this zone system has been replaced by
computers. You take one transparency for the highlights,
one for the mid-tones and one for the shadow details. You
then just let the computer combine the three."

Chris

- --------------------------------

>My experience with these (I have a D30 and I've shot with the new Nikon)
>is that
>they have less exposure latitude than film by a couple of stops. Since
I'm
>working in an industrial type of environment, where I don't have a lot
>lighting
>control, and often what I'm trying to shoot will be dark, I think I need
what
>film offers.
Adam -

There is a photoshop action that will increase the dynamic range of a
digital photo to 10 f stops.  It is beyond anything you can do with film.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/DRI/index.html

You are supposed to use a tripod for best results, but I have used a
similar action with hand-held shots and it works fine.  Just expose for
the
highlights, expose for the shadows and combine the two in Photoshop.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP