Subject: RE: [Leica] Repairing 21mm Viewfinder
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 14:00:01 -0400

Qat - Now THERE's a story for you - When I was preparing to board the
Ethiopian Airlines flight from Addis Ababa to Djibouti, I was struck by the
very high level of security - to the point of pat-down as we went up the
steps from the Tarmack to the plan; they even lifted my Tilly hat ;-) and
looked inside it.

Well, the flight to Djibouti was uneventful. When we landed we were told we
would exit through the rear door. Fine. But as I walked back through the
cabin I noticed that the seats were empty in the rear half of the plane.
Well, they weren't really empty - each and every seat was filled most of the
way to the top of the seat back with cloth bags of qat! I was on an official
Ethiopian government sanctioned drug delivery flight. ;-)

(And, yes, the people were nice. But I was stuck in Dijbouti, Djibouti, by
weather and political instability, awaiting a break in the weather so that I
could hitch a U.N. flight into the top of Somalia. But the weather never
broke and my editors in NY told me to find my way back to Nairobi...