Subject: [Leica] Re: [R8 and scratched slide film
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 22:36:42 -0700 (PDT)

I quote the following from Andrew Nemeth's Leica Q & A at
azn@nemeng.com

Older model R8 scratching your film?
noted the following:

[By scratching my film, my early serial number R8 …]] damaged 30 rolls
of slides when I went on a trip to SE Asia. With extensive
investigation into the problem, I finally find out where the problem
coming from.

There is a plastic piece on the left side of the film pressure plate
held down by 2 machine screws. This piece covers the film advance
indicator (also there is a cam switch under it). I believe Leica used
the wrong material for this part. After about 150 rolls went through
the camera, this piece start wearing out.If you use a loupe to look at
this piece, you can see its rough surface.

I did a quick fix by putting some cellophane tape over the piece. I
bought my second R8 body couple months ago. Leica changed their design
on this piece. Instead of using different material, they sanded down
the area that will be weared out by film transportation.

I wrote a letter to Leica Solms for a replacement part, but they
forwarded the whole issue to their Canadian Distributor. I then got a
letter from the distributor telling me to blow away the dust particle
inside my camera. What a joke.