Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: All Canadian M3 Black Paint M3
From: Photo Phreak <leicam4pro@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 14:55:25 -0700 (PDT)

- --- Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've heard about that but am not familiar with the how
> and whys of it. Do they sprinkle the powder and then
> bake? Does it fuse to the metal with heat? Who does
> your cameras? Expensive?
> Javier

    As I understand it, they use an electrostatic process to
spray a very fine powder onto the parts.  Then they are baked at
aprox 400 F. to fuse the powder.  It is very durable and
resistant to scratching, abrasion, chemicals ( perspiration ),
and fading of color.
    It has become a common industrial process asnd is used for
"painting" tool boxes, cabinets, metal shelving, etc.  It works
on most materials that can withstand the baking temperature.
    Why the gnomes of Solms have not picked up on it eludes me.