Subject: Re: [Leica] Great exposures & sharpness don't......
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 09:54:11 -0500

icommag@toad.net (Steve LeHuray)5/2/029:07 AM

> I really appreciate your saying this, so few people seem to
realize that
> photography is all about the CONTENT, does the photo say
something. Content
> is the biggest challenge, NOT perfect exposure or perfect
focus. It is a
> photo that compels people to linger, to see what is going on,
to see if
> there is some message in there.

While I totally agree with the above statements, clearly "some
important photography" includes clarity, precision, perfect tonal
or color control as part of the CONTENT.

As someone who appreciates any photograph that "works" and "says"
something no matter what techniques, equipment, or subject matter
the photographer works with, I couldn't ever eliminate from a
discussion of the image's content all the various elements which
make the CONTENT speak in an exceptional manner. At times
softness will speak best for the subject/content, at times
absolute optical and tonal perfection will speak best. The real
issues seem to be having something to say and knowing how to say
it.

The content-subject matter of a poem may be "death of a loved
one" - there i've said it - but a true poet will say it with an
awareness and eloquence that will make us weep. No rules. Just
art.

Some speak of rocks and trees, some of birds and critters, some
of people in misery, some of people in joy, some of pure design,
some of pure color, some of powerful people, some of health care
professionals, ad infinitum. I respect every one of them if they
have something to say about these people places and things and
say it with passion, eloquence, integrity and comittment.

George