Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 and scratched slide film
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 06:48:16 -0700

Terry wrote:

>>> About two months ago on two different occasions I got processed and
mounted
> Provia 100F back from the Fuji lab in San Diego and noticed that about 6
> slides had a scratch in almost the center position, running from the left
> border to the right. <<<< SNIP>>
>>Yesterday I got a roll of Scala back from Main Photo in Santa Ana and the
same >> thing happened.<<<<  SNIP
>>Therefore, I still insist the scratches, one per slide, have been produced
by the
>> labs.<<

Hi Terry,
Scratches like this are and can become a nightmare because they're so hard
to find and even though you've been careful in the  film changing conditions
occasionally it can come from the camera.

However, using R8's myself with motors I've not run into this scratch thing,
touch wood.

Considering your rolls were processed in different labs the first thing to
do is compare frame to frame by number, colour to the Scala and see if the
scratches are identical markings and place.

And if that is the case surely it's your camera? But if the scratches are
random locations then one would think it's the lab.

Then look in the film chamber using a loupe held up side down, where the
film touches any surface and start to search for the tiniest thing that
might scratch. Trust me this will drive you crazy looking for it and the
problem.

Now one more question.  Are the scratches so deep that when you project the
slides or print that you see the scratches?  Or are they "light surface
scratches" that you see only by moving the slide about and catching a
highlight on the surface?

If it's the latter and not affecting the viewing and printing of the frame
it becomes a non-issue as little surface scratches occur and we're never
aware of them unless we tilt the slide or neg. around until the light makes
them show up.

yet print the neg. and you can't find it on the print.

Finding a scratching location unless it's a deep one into the film is tough
at any time. Then you might find the next hundred rolls don't have a mark!
That's the frustrating part when it comes back, then goes away.

You have my sympathy as I've been there and looked.... and never found... it
went away!
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant