Subject: Re: [Leica] Shintaro
From: Bryan Caldwell <bcaldwell51@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 07:02:18 -0700

Javier,

All I can tell you is that last November I held this very same camera in my
own two hands. The pictures on Shintaro's web site do not depict the colors
of the material under the black paint accurately. The picture you see at the
home page of the site is the same camera (although maybe taken at a
different time) and is much more accurate. Shintaro is very attached to this
camera and it is not his intention to have it looking like a showroom
display piece.

If you are going to judge Shintaro's work (and remember, the M3 we've been
discussing is his personal camera - not one he charged a customer for) by a
.jpg, look at the before and after pictures of the other M3 displayed at his
site.

I agree wholeheartedly with Stephen Gandy on this one. I've owned both
Shintaro refinished cameras and original Leitz black paint cameras. In terms
of quality, I think the finish on Shinatro's are superior.  But not, as this
discussion began, indistinguishable from an original.

I donšt know where you're located, but it shouldn't be too hard for you to
find some of Shintaro's work to examine personally.

Bryan