Subject: RE: [Leica] The real information about a Digital M camera
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 09:31:00 -0400

And why can't the sensor be set far enough back from the rear of the lens to
eliminate this problem? And if the problem with having the sensor in the
normal position is that there is degradation of the image at the edges,
doesn't this simply require the same kind of focal length multiplication we
see with most digital SLRs? i.e., a 35 1.4 Summliux would be, say, a 52.5
1.4 lens using the more central area of the 35 mm lens. Of course this would
require some sort of viewfinder masking, but that's hardly an insurmountable
problem.

I acknowledge that my knowledge of optics and optical issues is more than a
little limited. But I wonder if what is really at issue here is the Leica
engineers believing that to produce a digital M they MUST produce a camera
that fully utilizes the entire area of the current lenses...this may
definitely be a time and issue for compromise, in order to get a digital M
going before many M users stick their M equipment in the closet and go to
digital equipment produced by other manufacturers.

I know, THAT will NEVER happen...at least not until sparrows fly....;-)