Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 17 substitute - London snaps
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:20:37 -0700 (PDT)

<<Last week I did not take any pictures. My dog was hit by a car and is
still in the hospital; immediately after the accident she was in shock and
instinctively bit my right hand, which is now swollen and taped up so I
can photograph only with the greatest difficulty. And frankly, my...

Ouch!  Nathan, so sorry to hear this.  I hope your dog will be all right.
Was she hurt seriously?

<<of the days I took the children to Legoland Windsor while my wife was
let loose in the shops, and the first three inages are from there:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_17.jpg

The expressions in the main #17 reminds me of the time I was on a
rollercoaster in Disneyland (Space Mountain?).  While it was dark and I
couldn't see anything, I think I heard the equivalent of "Oh,
Shiiiiiiiiiii.......*" in at least seventeen languages!  Good catch, not
sure I could have turned around under such circumstances!

<<Here is one of the many buskers, with a somewhat
unique choice of instrument, taken outside the HMV shop on Picadilly. I
especially liked the symmetry between his traffic cone and the HMV logo
on the door:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_17alt6.jpg

Nice visual pun!

<<When I am around famous landmarks, I usually look more at the people
than at the building. Here is a Japanese tourist photographing St.
Paul's Cathedral:

http://www.wajsman.com/2002_17alt7.jpg

I *really* like this one, with bike lane leading the eye from the tourist
to the cathedral.  I wish the tourist had been a little further to the
right in the frame, but then he wouldn't have been in line with the
cathedral, or maybe there was something in the way on the left I think
this is a good example of how you can't apply view-camera compositional
standards to a quick street shot.  Perhaps when you're feeling better you
could tweak the contrast a little, get some richer blacks in it.

One could do a photo essay on Japanese tourists photographing things.  In
the Canadian Rockies, I once witnessed a Japanese man walk right up to a
bull elk in full antlers, shove a big zoom lens in the elk's face and
start clicking away.  The elk lowered his head and stepped forward.  I was
sure he was about to make sushi out of the tourist, who jumped away just
in time. Alas, my camera had broken on that trip, so I have no picture of
the incident.

Later that day in a restaurant, I saw an entire tour group photograph
every dish as it emerged from the kitchen!

- --Peter

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 17 substitute - London snaps)