Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital M??
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 07:08:18 -0600

Leica has looked into a digital back for the M camera and have decided
against it. The main problem is that most M lenses have rear elements
too close to the film plane. While this is a plus in the design of
lenses for film, it means that the light hits the sensors at the edge at
too oblique an angle.

The other problem is even more serious. Digital development costs
millions and millions of dollars for a very limited return on a short
lived product. Digital engineers work hard and fast to beat the their
competitors for market share. Many projects are completely abandoned if
the competitors get their first. It took Leica YEARS to design a simple
AE M camera; something the big boys could have knocked off in a few
lunch breaks (note: hyperbole for effect).

Try film, you will like it!

John Collier

(sources: interview in latest LHSA Viewfinder)