Subject: Re: [Leica] Haiku
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 19:45:25 -0700

Hi Karina;
The best reading, and I mean the very best, would be Hanna Arendt's The
Life of the Mind, thinking and willing. It takes the western form to a
very rarefied level. I would expect no less from Martin Heidegger's old
girl friend. While we may find the Orient's processes of living in the
world attractive, and seductive, the Western traditions have even more
to offer to us. That is because we are of it, and in it, for better or
for worse. We share in its intuitive immediacy in the same way that the
"other" share their own intuitively apprehended reality.
On that vein, if you must, or are compelled by some unseen force to
plumb the depths of the Orient's soul then do it. As a former Religious
Studies student, and still practising to this day, I learned to stay
away from interpretative materials. Go only to translation, or more
appropriately transliterations, from acknowledged sources. Stay away
from pop exegetical materials, as they very often use badly translated
materials and draw conclusions that are often foundationaly unsound.
On the other hand read the Chuang Tzu, Burton Watson, Columbia
University Press. It has the barest minimum annotations, which makes for
good reading. I carried mine wherever I went for years.
Best,
 Slobodan Dimitrov