Subject: [Leica] Covington Kentucky Elementary School Photo Project
From: Stephen Gandy <leicanikon@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 10:52:35 -0700

Greetings,

Below you will find the email I received from Karen Furnish, an elementary school
teacher in Covington,  Kentucky.  I called the school this morning and talked
with  her.   A few LUGers people have emailed me about sending them donations.  I
think it best if you send things directly to the school, and that you talk to
Karen (email or phone) to make sure the kids can make use of your excess photo
equip.

At the moment they have two digital cameras, Sony Mavicas, which store images on
floppy disks. One issue digitally is MAC compatibility.  While they don't have a
wet darkroom at the moment, they do have plans to make one in the basement.
Although Karen requested Polaroid cameras in her email, I pointed out to her that
Polaroid film is much more expensive than digital or regular film,  so that
financially Polaroid cameras would probably not be a good choice.

It turns out their 312 students have 20 days of school left this year, so
donations will have the biggest effect next school year.  The school will be open
throughout the summer, and Karen will be at the school much of the summer, so
delivery will not be a problem.

The school's phone number is (859) 292-5817,  Karen's home phone is 859-802-2538,
or email to Esce2143@cs.com

Before anyone  asks, I had no prior contact with Karen or the Thomas Edison
Elementary School before her email last week.  I simply believe that helping
economically disadvantaged kids get introduced to photography is a worthwhile
project.

Thanks to all who have shown interest,

Stephen Gandy