Subject: Re: Vs: [Leica] Digital vs Film
From: Steven Alexander <alexpix@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 10:01:15 -0400

Austin,

I don't understand;
 > snaps to the local drug store, and get double set of prints from them,
easy.
>> I can bring my digital film cartridge to...well...to...somewhere (yet to be
>> disclosed) and get....hum.

The other day I was in a photo shop, Anderson in Concord, MA, and on the
counter was a gadget that took any digital media found in consumer cameras
and a screen.  Select your images and just like film your prints will appear
the next day in envelopes as 2x3,4x6 or larger, singles or multi  on photo
paper.  This type service is not in all shops yet; however, the processing
counter is the profit center for a retail shop and as film revenue drop
these new processing/profit centers will become more available and in many
forms.

And I do not understand your time thing at all. Film you need to: Set-up
chemicals, process, wait to dry, then print (either digital[scan/photoshop]
or chemically, set up chemicals, enlarge, process, dry, spot or take it to
processing place and pick up later.

Digital you can transfer information to small 2x3 digital printer and print,
you can transfer to computer and with photoshop/print or use some form of
onsite service center for digital image processing.

Time is on the digital side and convenience will be soon also.

I think film will be around for some looong time, but this does not mean
that it is anything except just another way of creating images that express
and convey information between a creator and receiver.  The quality of a
large film negative can not be equaled by any 35mm neg, yet we all accept
the compromise of 35mm for use in our work.  If the quality is compromised
in digital, which I do not see in the latest equipment,  for other reasons
so be it.  What really counts is the effectiveness of the
communication...not the tool.

Happy snaps and going digital,
Steven Alexander