Subject: [Leica] Kyles proposal... musings
From: "Duane Birkey" <duanebirkey@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 23:13:59 -0500

Actually Scott did live in Ecuador for a while...  which explains why his
photos are of Ecuadorian scenes......  So it's not like he has never been
out of the U.S.      I am a bit embarrassed to say that we never got
together...  It was on my things to do list...  Where is that list by the
way????

Anyhow, my two cents is that it is always better to give money to charity
than spend money on charities...   in otherwords try to give to things where
at least 90% of what you are giving goes to actual recipient...   $1000 to
photograph $3000 worth of previous charity seems a bit out of line...
However if Scott's photos can be used to raise another $10,000 or $30,000
that wouldn't be given otherwise.....  It might be a great investment by the
LUG.....

On the other hand.... if you want to give money to actually feeding homeless
people as opposed to giving money for Scott to photograph homeless people
... well....  don't let anyone discourage you from doing so either....

And if you want to give money to Ecuadorian people who live in the Quito
Dump, communities who need potable water systems, people who have been
affected by massive flooding, landslides....  Mentally and physically
handicapped children and orphans... or poor patients who come to our
hospitals and can't afford medical treatment..... Well....  I can put you in
touch with the respective charities.

Duane

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador