Subject: Re: Vs: [Leica] Digital vs Film
From: "Will" <wlarsen@ocsnet.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 21:03:26 -0700

With all due respect, you might want to remind the Library
of Congress and the Census Bureau of your thesis. In the
last U.S. Census meeting in California that I attended, they
stated that they had no idea of how they were going to
preserve the Year 2000 Census data since this was the first
one that was digitally encoded and had the original paper
answers shredded rather than microfilmed.  This information
was from a deputy director of the census. They anticipate
that the Library of Congress will solve their problem.

Brian Reid writes:

| The topic of my Ph.D. thesis, written for a Ph.D. in
computer science at
| Carnegie-Mellon University in 1980, was on techniques for
encoding
| information in a computer so that it would still be usable
a thousand years
| later. "Transmitting information across space or time", I
called it.