Subject: [Leica] The new kid again (was 'Good Deed' or something)
From: "Scott Squire" <scott_squire@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 02:46:50 +0000

Thanks to all of you who have responded to Kyle's and my proposal. It's been
instructive and humbling. All who have written have raised interesting
questions, and I'd love to respond to some of them.

**Why Romania? Why me?

Because, twelve years after this story hit, it is still a big story. And
bigger now with the new 'hook' of the Romanian government's planned overhaul
of its convention on children's rights.

Because of the magic word: Access--I believe that, even counting distance
and language, it will be easier and more practical for me to get close to
these subjects than to, for example, homeless people here in the East Bay.
Partly because I'm a foreigner, and partly (I think) because the subjects
are less media savvy, I've always had better luck making pictures of people
in other countries than here. And for me, right now, it is more important to
work on my picturemaking/storytelling skills than my access-wangling skills.

Because, I saw and admired the work Kyle did there, and liked what he did
with it. And I liked how this group responded.

Because journalism is market-driven, and there are a lot more good
photographers here than there. I'm a medium-small sized fish--I'm going to
fare better in a small pond than a big pond.

If I make good photographs and write good stories about these kids in
Romania, there is a much better chance that these stories will be published
nationally, internationally, or locally across this country than if I do a
great story on the homeless of San Francisco. Reaching the widest possible
audience is a key goal of this kind of documentary--more people who can help
bring positive change.

As Mr. Wafkowski suggests, broad publication would of course benefit me in
my career as well. (And I'm not about to try to tell you I haven't thought
about what a boon this could be to my portfolio. Who wouldn't?)

But my main motivation here is that I want to do some good for the subjects
of some of my work. I've looked at a lot of possibilities, and pitched (and
been turned down by) a lot of NGOs on different things. This looks to me
like the best bet for doing the most good with a summer's work.

I don't begrudge anybody their disinclination to contribute. But I'm not
coming to you for charity, or to ask the LUG to fund my vacation. Like most
Americans, I live reasonably well. And like some Americans, I am concerned
for those who must struggle every day to have a place to sleep or something
to eat. What I am doing is trying to find my way into a tough niche
(humanistic documentary) in a tough biz (journalism).

A number of of ideas for other projects have surfaced--all with merit. But I
am committed to this project, for a lot of different reasons. Whether it
feels right for you to contribute or not, I will go to Romania. I'm in
school-debt already, and going further in debt to do it, because I (naively?
foolishly?) believe I *can* find a way to make a living good enough to pay
back loans, while working for Good.

I'm doing this because I believe I can help these children through
photography. Those who don't agree, from you I would ask only good wishes
for some success in the project.

And to everybody, as I said in my introduction, I'm grateful for any
positive contribution--material or otherwise.

I look forward to sharing the results of this project via the web journal,
and later with actual prints. I know that there will be some invaluable
feedback.

Thanks for listening. I recognize that being this long-winded may be
considered bad form. It's just that what I have to say is SO IMPORTANT (to
me! 8^)

Cheers,
Scott Squire