Subject: Re: Vs: [Leica] Digital vs Film
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 14:20:27 EDT

In a message dated 4/28/02 8:17:15 AM, darkroom@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< Now, I'm not suggesting that for digital images, as it really isn't

necessary...but I would strongly suggest storing digital images in an

uncompressed format, and probably suggest TIFF, because of it's simplicity.

I'm sure that there will always be programs to read JPEG etc, at least for

our lifetime.  I also suggest archiving them to more than one CD...and when

DVD writers become less expensive (and your image library grows), archive

them to DVD...and then to...whatever is the media of the time, at the time

;-)

Regards,

Austin >>

For pro photographers and tech heads I see this as a feasible solution.  I
don't see my parents (if they so desired to move to digital) doing this, nor
do I see my overly busy sibling doing this, or a number of other folks I know
who shoot the precious shot and then throw the goods into an album not to be
really thought of again.

At this point, digital seems to require a bit more due diligence as well as a
willingness to deal with technological obsolescence.  I guess a lot of this
may boil down to the question whether one is a borderline Luddite or whether
you bow down to the Gods of new tech.

Myself, I tend to prefer technology that doesn't make me have to think or
take too much care for it to work.  That's probably why I've always owned a
Mac, own minolta slr's with retro controls, have a leica M etc.

Basically, at the end of a long day, I'm lazy.  I want to shoot shots, put
them in archival neg holders and not have to worry about updating them from
TIFF to JPEG to RMAX4 (or whatever the next standard will be), I don't want
to have to move them from smartmedia to CD to DVD to BVD's (or whatever the
next media standard will be) and have multiple copies of all, just in case my
media "fails."   I don't like the feeling that every few years I have to
reinvest in a macplus, power mac, g3, g4, g10 or the equivalent chip standard
for windoze, to upgrade my 5 1/4 floppy to a 3 1/2floppy to tape to zip to CD
reader to DVD reader etc.    I guess if I was independently wealthy it
wouldn't bite so much, but quite frankly even if I could write off all my
tech upgrades, the obsolescence aspect of digital tech bugs me.

I look at it this way, I invested in a leica m and now I have an enlarger.
They should last me for the rest of my life.  To me, that represents a good
investment in both my time as well as my money.

I'm not trying to convince anyone else of my convictions, it's just the way
my mind works, the financial values I hold and the way I like to do my art
and spend my time.  I realize that I'm a lunar type in a solar world and that
in some ways my pace of life are probably slower and better suited for last
century rather than this one, but I suppose that's why I still prefer the
magical alchemy of light hitting silver rather than silicon.

- -kim